The Montgomery County Planning Commission (MCPC) has developed a transit-oriented development (TOD) model ordinance and guidebook. The publication provides an engaging look at how every one of the 43 Regional Rail and 6 Norristown High Speed Line station areas in communities throughout Montgomery County can be transformed by considering the concept of transit-oriented development. These station areas, all providing convenient access to Center City Philadelphia for both daily commuters and occasional riders, can be re-envisioned to enhance a community by providing thoughtfully designed, walkable, mixed-use developments that can support increased transit ridership and efficient use of land.
This appealing publication provides examples of various TOD scenarios and examples and model ordinance language to help municipalities plan for transit-oriented development, as well as a framework for how communities can encourage development designed to take advantage of transit access. The publication, which was highlighted at a Planning Smarter: Montco 2021 event (event video available), corresponds to the Connected Communities and Vibrant Economy themes contained in Montco 2040: A Shared Vision, Montgomery County’s comprehensive plan. A web experience was also developed to offer the public an easy-to-use digital platform for exploring the publication. Details on the content of the publication are listed below:
- Section 1 - Overview of transit-oriented development and regional trends, such as ridership levels and land development activity.
- Section 2 - Description of the five types of station areas located within the county, as well as new building types and land use mix that would be most appropriate for each station area typology.
- Section 3 - Five key design elements and best practices for successful TOD projects.
- Section 4 - Model ordinance language for communities looking to encourage TOD, with different options based on station area typology.
- Appendices - Examples of how to implement the model TOD ordinance and station area typologies using the Moore Park area of Upper Merion Township and the proposed King of Prussia Rail project, list of stations by station area typology, and a list of resources for additional information.