About the Site Pottsgrove Manor exemplifies the restrained elegance of early Georgian architecture popular with wealthy English gentry during the mid-18th century. Built in 1752 for John Potts, ironmaster and founder of Pottstown, the mansion was situated on a nearly 1,000 acre plantation, which by 1762 included the town of "Pottsgrove."
As a successful ironmaster and merchant, John Potts, was appointed Justice of the Peace and Judge on the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas. He was elected to the Pennsylvania General Assembly from both Berks and Philadelphia Counties.
Although only four acres of original property remain today, Pottsgrove Manor has lost none of its original charm and architectural beauty. The sandstone exterior, elegant interior and fine furnishings reflect the eminence that the Potts family had attained before selling the property in 1783. The mansion has been restored to recreate the lifestyle and times of the Potts family. Pottsgrove Manor is open year-round for guided tours, as well as public programs, school tours, lectures, and workshops. A museum shop on site offers a fine selection of 18th century reproduction items, books, toys, and more.
Suggested Donation:$2 per person.
- Learn more about Pottsgrove Manor's history.
- Read our Scope of Collections statement.
- Take a virtual tour.
Activities & Opportunities
Volunteer Opportunities and Volunteer Application
Looking to Hold an Event?
- Professional Photography Session Permit
- Guidelines and Application for Special Use Permits
- Historic Resource Fees