Peter and Rosanna Wentz settled here in 1744 and by 1758 had built their English Georgian style house with many features reflecting their German heritage. The American Revolution moved into the area during the autumn of 1777 and the Wentz home became temporary headquarters for General George Washington and his staff. After the war Peter Wentz sold the farm to Devault Beiber and in 1794 Schwenkfelder Reverend Melchior Schultz and his family bought it.
Generations of the Schultz family continued to live and farm here until 1969, when the County of Montgomery purchased the property. The County restored the house to the era when it served as Washington’s headquarters. The farm buildings, livestock, and kitchen garden represent early Pennsylvania German farming culture and practices in the region.