Attention Notaries: Important Changes are comingOn October 26, 2017, the Revised Uniform Law on Notarial Acts took effect. All notaries should be aware of important changes in the law. Specific information about these changes can be found on the Pennsylvania Department of State Website: www.dos.pa.gov/notaries. Changes include an education requirement for ALL notaries; examination by a registered Pennsylvania Department of State examination vendor; changes to the notary stamp; and many other changes. Notaries are encouraged to read more about these important changes at www.dos.pa.gov/notaries.
Process for Swearing in as a Notary Public
When you are ready to be sworn in as a notary public, bring your bond, power of attorney and photo ID to the Recorder of Deeds Office. You can come any time between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will be sworn in and your bond will be recorded. The fee for this is $38.50 (effective October 26, 2017 under the Pennsylvania Revised Uniform Law on Notarial Acts). We accept cash, checks, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. All checks must be made payable to the Montgomery County Recorder of Deeds.
Then, visit the Prothonotary's Office in the Courthouse to have your signature registered. The fee is $3.50. The Prothonotary's Office accepts cash only.
Should you have questions regarding this process, please feel free to contact the Recorder of Deeds Office at 610-278-3289.
Notary Public Forms
- Application to become a Notary Public - Refer all questions concerning this application to the Pennsylvania Department of State.
- Information about Electronic Notarization
- Notary Change of Address Form - The fee to change your address is $20. Notaries from counties other than Montgomery must come to our office. You will be given a form to take to the Prothonotary's Office to have your signature registered. There is a fee of $3.50 to have your signature registered in the Prothonotary Office. IMPORTANT NOTE: Notaries changing their address must have this addendum notarized when they present their paperwork at our office. Our office cannot record your change of address without this addendum attached. We do have a notary on staff and can notarize this form for you at our office for a $5.00 fee.
- Notary Change of Name Form - Name changes must be completed in person. The fee to change your name is $20. There is also a $3.50 fee to have your signature registered in the Prothonotary Office. Notaries may continue to use the name they were commissioned with until the expiration of their term. If you choose this option you must still notify the Secretary of the Commonwealth and the Recorder of Deeds office in writing within 30 days.
- Notary Public Resignation Form
- Death of a Notary Public