Montgomery County First Time Homebuyers Program
The program, established and administered by the commissioners and the Department of Housing and Community Development, is directed to assist low, moderate, and median income households interested in purchasing a home in Montgomery County.
Eligible participants may receive assistance with down payment and closing costs. Participants will be required to complete a counseling package and meet with the counselor one on one to go over budget, credit, mortgage financing, and home ownership responsibilities.
Funds for the program are supplied through the county’s Affordable Trust Fund in coordination with the Recorder of Deeds Office.
Applications can be obtained from the Department of Housing & Community Development (610) 278-3540. The funds are available to all qualified applicants on a first come, first serve basis. The Housing Programs Manager administers the Program through the Department of Housing & Community Development. Any eligible household interested in participating in the program must be income and loan eligible PRIOR to entering into an agreement of sale (or putting a deposit on a property). There is a $25.00 non-refundable fee payable at the time of application.
To be eligible for a loan, the household must:
1. Be a first time homebuyer or not owned a home within the previous three years;
2. Have a household income below the area median income;
3. Intend to occupy the property purchased as a primary residence;
4. Be creditworthy and able to qualify for a mortgage (Conventional, FHA, or VA) at or below the current market rate;
5. Currently reside and/or be employed full time within Montgomery County at the time of Program application and closing;
6. Complete the required counseling program prior to executing any contract of sale for the purchase of real estate;
7. Have a minimum of $3,000.00 liquid assets at the time of application (no gifts of cash or equity permitted towards the first 3%.)
2020 Household Income Limits
|Family size||80% Median Income||Median income|
|1 Person||$ 54,150||$ 67,700|
|2 Person||$ 61,850||$ 77,300|
|3 Person||$ 69,600||$ 87,100|
|4+ Person||$ 77,300||$ 96,600|
1. Grant amount is based on the financial need of the applicant’s household, selling price of property, and household assets.
2. Assistance up to a maximum of 10% of the estimated affordable sales price for participants, not to exceed $10,000.00.
3. Interest rate of zero percent (0%).
4. Repayment only if:
- Home is sold, conveyed, granted or otherwise transferred;
- Vacated or abandoned as a primary residence within 15 years from the date of purchase of the property;
- Used as investment or income producing property.
Additional Program Information and Documents
Documents are in Acrobat Reader format