Firefighter I & II - Test Dates and Information
The Montgomery County Fire Academy will offer two opportunities for candidates to challenge the Firefighter I and Firefighter II
- Fire Fighter Level I: Written and Practical Challenge Test - May 5, 2012
- Fire Fighter Level II: Written and Practical Challenge Test - May 5, 2012
The Fire Fighter I and II written tests are 100 multiple choice questions each based on the NFPA 1001 Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications 2013 Edition. The passing grade for the written test is 70%.
The practical, hands-on skill testing for Firefighter I has (12) skill stations that candidates must successfully complete. Firefighter II has (5) skill stations that candidates must successfully complete
Candidates must successfully complete both the written and practical tests to be certified. You must be certified as a Firefighter I before making application to challenge Firefighter II.
Download candidate handbooks, applications, and skill sheets from the Pennsylvania State Fire Academy (PSFA) website. Candidates can also obtain the appropriate candidate handbook and application from Herbert D. Adams, the Montgomery County Fire Academy Certification Coordinator, at 610-278-3500.
All fully completed applications with all required pre-requisite documents attached must be received three weeks prior to testing. You may mail or deliver the application and documents to:
Montgomery County Fire Academy
Attn: Herbert D. Adams
1175 Conshohocken Road
Conshohocken, PA 19428
IMPORTANT: DO NOT FAX the application.
Candidates will also need to submit a completed “Student Registration Form” for the written test date. A second “Student Registration Form” must be included for the skills testing date.
Additional Class Information
- Student equipment / supplies needed: Written Test - #2 pencils; Practical Test - F.T.O.G. and S.C.B.A.
- Manual: Please refer to Candidate Handbook on the PSFA website
- Pre-requisite: As noted in the Fire Fighter I Application and Fire Fighter II Application and Candidate Handbook
- Class size limit: Fire Fighter I - 30 students; Fire Fighter II - 30 students
- Certificate(s) issued: Office of the State Fire Commissioner Certificate with a National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications state number and an International Fire Service Accreditation Congress national number; the applicant will also receive a form to apply for certification and registry with the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications
- Cost: Firefighter I - $100; Firefighter II - $75