County Benefits: Giving Back to Veterans
County Burial Benefits (veteran and spouse)
Burial Allowances Explanation
Montgomery County grants $100 - $200 to defray the costs of funeral expenses and headstones or headstone foundations for all wartime active duty veterans and their widows who are county residents at their time of death and have been buried or interred.
- Headstone allowances must include the veteran’s name, year of birth and death, rank, branch of service, and era of conflict.
- Reserve and National Guard members who deployed on active duty are eligible. Reserve and National Guard members please note: active duty for training (ADT) is not the same as active service.
- How to Apply: We will need a completed County Application (Veteran or Widow/Widower) or, DD-214 or discharge record, death certificate, and a paid funeral bill. Specific grave location (cemetery, plot, range, section) is required. Applications can be mailed, emailed, or picked up in our office.
Burial flags are free of charge at any local post office. Bring the veterans discharge papers and death certificate at least five days in advance to obtain a flag. In the event a post office does not have flags in stock, contact this office immediately at 610-213-4022.
Flag holders are bronze-like badges indicating a veteran’s wartime service or branch of service. They also serve to mark a veteran’s grave to hold Memorial Day flags. Flag holders are provided free of charge to various veteran service organizations or to the family, representative, or friend of an eligible deceased veteran for placement at the grave or place of interment.
- How to Apply: We will need a completed application, DD-214 or discharge record and a death certificate. Specific grave location (cemetery, plot, range, section) is required. Most applications are done by mail or e-mail and picked up in person.
Note: Whoever steals or attempts to steal any veteran grave marker is guilty of a felony larceny and upon conviction will be sentenced to pay a fine of not exceeding $1000 or to undergo imprisonment for a year, or both. Any information concerning veteran grave marker death can be made by contacting the Montgomery County Sherriff’s Department. Whosoever buys or receives for use as junk or scrap metal any veteran grave markers is also subject to the same penalties.
County Military Record Registration (Recorder of Deeds)
For decades the County Recorder of Deeds has maintained a protected file of military discharge papers. These papers are vital for living veterans who need to access them quickly, for surviving family members to arrange for an honor guard or burial in a national cemetery, and for genealogical researchers. When you do so, you will receive a County Veteran Discount ID card (list of participating businesses on this link too).
- How to Apply: Bring your discharge papers and a photo ID to the ROD office. Appointments are encouraged but not required.
- Participating Merchants - Category (updated monthly)
Shuttle Service to nearby VA Medical facilities
Montgomery County provides a free round trip shuttle service that will transport any veteran and one caretaker from their Montgomery County residence to a nearby Veterans Administration Medical Facility (Philadelphia, Coatesville, Horsham, and Spring City). Additionally, we will transport them to Healthlink Dental in Southhampton, PA. Appointments must be made between 11 am and 2 pm (1100-1400) and an emergency point of contact information must be provided.
- How to Access: Contact 610-278-3285 to set up an appointment, preferably at least two weeks in advance. A driver will contact the rider the evening prior to confirm the appointment.
Real Estate Tax Exemptions
Exemptions are processed through this office to state officials who adjudicate the decision. Any honorably discharged Pennsylvania resident veteran, who has a permanent and total 100% serviced connected disability rating as a result of wartime service may be exempt from real estate tax on the building and land of their principal dwelling. The property deed must solely be in the veteran’s name, although a spouse’s name is permitted. Until an exemption is adjudicated by the state and notifies the County Assessment Board and you tax collectors; applicants are reminded it is their responsibility to continue to pay their taxes.
- How to Pre-Apply: Send a 100% disabled (permanent and total) VA award letter, DD-214 or military discharge papers, and financial information such as last year’s tax return (if applicable), Social Security statement 1099-R, any 1099-DIV, or pension information (list not all-inclusive) to our office. You can pre-apply electronically HERE. Most applications are completed in person by appointment but e-mailing document for review is common. Note: A spouse’s income is not considered unless the veteran earns more than $95K income per year. Further Note: For this program, “Income” includes disability compensation, wages, pension, social security payments, dividends, gambling earnings, etc.
Resources and Information for Veterans and Family Members
Military Funeral Honors
Military Funeral Honors are provided by a variety of resources. Active duty military honor guard, American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars Posts with an honor guard, and volunteer organizations such as the Guardians of Washington’s Crossing can assist you if you provide a death certificate and military discharge paperwork.
- Army: 1-800-325-4986 or email
- Navy: Groton Honor Guard, 1-800-856-7091
- Air Force: Dover AFB Honor Guard, 302-677-4020 Fax: 302-677-4029 24/7: 302-363-2456
- Marine Corps: 1-866-826-3628 or on the web
- Coast Guard: 703-872-6647 24/7: 571-266-2375 or email
- National Guard (Army): on the web
Veterans Service Officers advocate for members of the Montgomery County Veteran Community for access to eligible benefits and services; usually from the state of Veterans Administration, which is the bulk of their work.
- They also have access to a wide network of services from agencies, non-profits, faith organizations, and veteran-friendly businesses. Call us with your problem.
- Click here for more details.