limited service alert - one Montgomery plaza is presently closed to the public
For information regarding videoconferencing for Marriage License Applications during COVID-19 emergency, follow this link.
Applicants seeking a marriage license must appear together in the Marriage License Bureau of the Register of Wills Office and complete a Marriage License Application. For more details, please download the Marriage Brochure.
Applying for a Marriage License
- Applicants should take the necessary steps to obtain a marriage license two to three weeks before the scheduled date of their marriage ceremony.
- When you apply for license, you may take it with you.
- The license is not valid until three days after application.
- A marriage license is valid for 60 days from date it is issued.
- Please note that if you cannot speak English, an independent translator must accompany the applicants.
- A marriage license issued in Montgomery County may be used anywhere in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Likewise, a license issued in any other county in Pennsylvania may be used in Montgomery County.
FeesThe fees for a marriage license vary from county to county. Montgomery County fees, including Pennsylvania taxes and surcharges, are as follows:
|Type of Fee||Fee Amount|
|Montgomery County Fee||$32.50|
|Pennsylvania Writ Tax||$00.50|
|Act 151 Domestic Violence||$10.00|
|Act 222 Children's Fund||$10.00|
|Total||$53.00 (CASH ONLY)|
Marriage Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be 18 years of age in order to apply for a marriage license. This rule applies to both male and female applicants.
- Applicants between 16-18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to provide written consent to the marriage.
- Applicants under 16 years of age must have both the written approval of a judge of the Orphans’ Court Division of the Common Pleas and a written consent from a parent or legal guardian.