Extreme Weather - Cold
Code Blue Plan
During this winter season, Montgomery County will again be implementing a winter weather, or “Code Blue,” emergency plan. In periods of extreme, life-threatening weather, defined as a wind-chill factor of 20°F or below, multiple county agencies and private health / social organizations will offer expanded services for those without adequate shelter, including the chronically homeless and homeless families with children. The goal of the Code Blue plan is to provide temporary shelter, food, and clothing to those in need.
The Department of Public Safety is responsible for recommending Code Blue emergencies to the County Commissioners based on monitoring of National Weather Service forecasts. Code Blue declarations will be issued for a specific duration, usually based on 24-hour increments, and will end as initially declared unless formally extended by the County Commissioners.
Residents of Montgomery County who need shelter during a Code Blue between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday can call the Your Way Home Call Center at 1-877-646-6306.
After hours and weekends, residents can call the Coordinated Homeless Outreach Center (CHOC) at 610-292-9244. The CHOC is located in Building 53 on the Norristown State Hospital grounds. If needed, transportation will be provided.
What To Do In "Code Blue" Conditions
- Check on elderly friends and neighbors frequently to ensure that their homes are adequately heated.
- If you see someone in need of immediate assistance, call or text 9-1-1.
- If you or someone you know needs temporary shelter from the cold weather, call CHOC at 610-292-9244.
- If you or someone you know needs help with a longer-term housing issue, call Your Way Home at 1-877-646-630
- Make sure your car is winterized with antifreeze, a full tank of gas, properly inflated tires, and is stocked with an emergency kit.
- Check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Wear appropriate clothing and avoid prolonged exposure when going outdoors in winter weather.
- Report power outages directly to your utility company; DO NOT call 9-1-1.
- Your Way Home Montgomery County
- Coordinated Homeless Outreach Center (CHOC)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Winter Weather
- National Weather Service (NWS) - Winter Storm Safety
- The Salvation Army of Norristown
- The Salvation Army of Pottstown
- Norristown Hospitality Center
- The Ministries at Main Street