Trainings and Getting Involved
Suicide Prevention Trainings
YOU can be an important part of preventing suicide in your community. Understanding suicide prevention, intervention, and response is not only valuable for mental health service providers, but is important for every single person in our community. Friends, family members, teachers, classmates, neighbors, law enforcement, medical providers, members of the clergy, and many others can benefit from knowing the signs and what to do! Please consider bringing one of these trainings to a group you’re involved with, and know that the Taskforce can help make it happen! Contact the Montgomery County Suicide Prevention Taskforce Communications Chair (email@example.com) if you would like help bringing a training to your group!
QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer- 3 simple steps that anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. The Gatekeeper Training can be delivered in as little as one hour, and attendees leave prepared to recognize the warning signs of suicide, knowing how to offer hope, and how to get help and save a life. People who can be trained as Gatekeepers include: parents, friends, neighbors, teachers, ministers, doctors, nurses, office supervisors, squad leaders, foremen, police officers, advisors, caseworkers, firefighters, and many others who are strategically positioned to recognize and refer someone at risk of suicide. The Montgomery County Suicide Prevention Taskforce has QPR trainers available, please contact Anna Trout for more information!
- Counseling on Access to Lethal Means (CALM)
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)/Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMFHA)
Make suicide prevention training and awareness a part of new hire orientations and ongoing staff development, no matter your business or industry.
FREE Suicide Prevention materials, including:
- Suicide Safe Mobile App for smart phones
- Suicide Assessment Five-Step Evaluation and Triage Pocket Card for Clinicians
- Lifeline wallet cards and magnets
- Suicide Awareness brochures in English and Spanish
- Web banners and logos that can be added to websites and social media
About the Montgomery County Suicide Prevention Taskforce
The mission of the Montgomery County Suicide Prevention Taskforce is to develop and implement strategies to reduce the risk of suicide in Montgomery County through the collaborative efforts of community agencies and service providers.
Major Projects of the Taskforce
- Find and utilize data specific to Montgomery County to inform prevention efforts
- Promote/help coordinate appropriate suicide prevention trainings in the community
- Coordinate with individual school districts to promote Suicide Awareness and Prevention
Monthly Taskforce Meetings (Start at 9:30am)
- Large Taskforce
- Adult Subcommittee
- Children’s Subcommittee