How to either re-record a document or do a Deed of Correction


If the submitter is using the original document to correct a document:

1. A copy of the original recorded document before any changes are made to it. This copy must accompany the re-recording.
2. Use the original document for the re-recording and prepare a correction statement as to why the document is being re-recorded. This statement can be put on the cover sheet or the first page of the document.
3. The person making the correction must sign under the statement.
4. The signature must be acknowledged on a separate acknowledgement page which becomes the last page of the re-recording.
5. Make the necessary corrections to the document. (This includes some Easements as well)
6. If the document includes transfer taxes, such as a deed, two original statements of value forms must also be submitted showing an exemption to the transfer tax because it is a re-recording. We send the statements of value to the state along with the copy of the original recording to support the exemption.

All documents, except satisfactions, can be re-recorded


1. If the submitter is using a newly executed deed to make a correction, the following must apply:

a. The newly executed deed needs original signatures and acknowledgement.
b. The Document must be titled Deed of Correction
c. A correction statement must be made on the first page of the document
d. The deed must be accompanied by 2 original statements of value again stating the reason for the correction.
e. Statements of value along with a copy of the recorded deed being corrected are forwarded to the state.